| Course Overview
The Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens Course teaches employees how to protect themselves and others from being exposed to blood or blood-containing materials. This course is designed to meet OSHA requirements for bloodborne pathogens training when paired with site-specific instruction, and was designed specifically for workers with a reasonable chance of coming into contact with bloodborne pathogens -- including correctional officers, childcare workers, security guards, maintenance workers, school personnel, hotel housekeepers, health and fitness club staff, and tattoo artists. The course uses the PACT™ acronym (Protect, Act, Clean, Tell) and slogan, "Make a PACT, Know How to Act," to help students learn and easily recall bloodborne pathogens training.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- explain the importance of taking the Heartsaver Bloodborne Pathogens course
- define bloodborne pathogens
- describe the four main steps for staying safe when facing an occupational exposure
- discuss how universal precautions, personal protective equipment, and handwashing can protect them from infection
- recognize warning signs and labels for biohazards
- recall how to safely remove gloves
- discuss how to dispose of sharps and other blood-containing items
- identify the types of spills and methods to clean them
- discuss their exposure control plan.
No skills test or skills demonstration is required at the end of this course. However, AHA provides an optional written exam for use if the employer requires an exam for completion.
Key Features and Benefits
- contains all the information students need to successfully complete the Heartsaver Bloodborne Pathogens course
- is for use in a classroom setting with a facilitator or an AHA Instructor
- is useful as an ongoing reference after the course is completed
- features full-color illustrations throughout
- includes a perforated course-participation card on the back cover
- is designed for use by a single student.
Dimensions and Specifications
8 1/2" x 11"
Full-color, softcover book
Includes one perforated participation card
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long does it take to complete the Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens course?
A: The course takes approximately 1 hour (not including site-specific information).